Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Top 10 Poisons for Your Dog

You don't have to wait 'til Pet Safety Night to beef up on your pet safety knowledge! In this post, learn about the most common poisons for your dogs...things you probably have right in your home. The severity of your pet's symptoms from a poisonous substance depend on how the substance affects your dog’s body and how much was ingested or inhaled. But with some foresight and awareness, you can significantly decrease your dog's chances of becoming ill.

Count 'Em Down: The Top 10 Poisons for Dogs

#10: Fertilizer. Products for your lawn and garden may be poisonous to pets that ingest them, so make sure to allow ample time after application before letting your dog loose in the yard. 

#9: Heavy metals. If eaten by your dog, lead, which may be in paint, linoleum, and batteries, can cause gastrointestinal and neurological problems. Zinc poisoning may occur in dogs that swallow pennies.

#8: Household cleaners. Common substances like bleach, floor cleaners and Windex are a leading cause of pet poisoning, resulting in stomach and respiratory tract problems. Again, keep them locked away and make sure you wipe up as much as possible when cleaning your home.

#7: Chemical hazards. Antifreeze, paint thinner, and pool chemicals can be extremely harmful to your dog if ingested. Keep these things locked away when not in use, and make sure dogs are not allowed in any areas where work is being done. 

#6: Household plants. Some of the more toxic plants to dogs include azaleas, rhododendrons, tulips, daffodils and sago palms.

# 5: Pet medications. Allergies and overdoses of pet medications like pain killers and de-wormers can be avoided by careful administration, storage and veterinary consultation.

# 4: Rat and mouse poison. These chemicals are meant to kill rodents, but they can be deadly to our canine friends as well. 

#3: People food. Animals have different metabolisms than people, so just a bite of guacamole or a couple of stray raisins could mean bad news. Among the worst foods for your dog are chocolate, alcohol, avocado, macadamia nuts, grapes and raisins, and Xylitol. 

#2: Flea and tick products. Problems can occur if dogs accidentally ingest these products or if small dogs receive excessive amounts.

#1: Human medications. Some of the most common and harmful medications that poison dogs include nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen or naproxen, antidepressants, and the prescription tuberculosis medication, Isoniazid.

If you think your dog has been poisoned, try to stay calm. It's important to act quickly, but rationally. First, gather up any of the remaining poison; this may be helpful to your vet and any other experts who assist with the case. If your dog vomited, collect the sample in case your veterinarian needs to see it. Next, try to keep your pet calm and call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) at (888) 426-4435. Experts at the APCC are available 24 hours a day for a $60 consultation fee.

Come visit us at Pet Safety Night on September 24 for more useful and potentially lifesaving information for your family and your dog. We hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment