So you’ve completed basic dog training courses…but can your dog prove what he's learned? You might want to consider Canine Good Citizen (CGC) testing. CGC testing, developed by the American Kennel Club, is the only nationally recognized testing for pet obedience. It is open to breeds of all types and can really give you some bragging rights! In some states, proof of successful CGC testing completion can even lower your home insurance rates!
Morris K9 Campus offers a five-week course to prepare for CGC testing, which requires mastery of 10 skills:
- Accepting a friendly stranger
- Sitting politely for petting
- Welcoming grooming or examination
- Walking on a loose leash without pulling
- Walking through a crowd
- Knowing and responding to the “sit”, “down” and “stay” commands
- Coming when called
- Reacting politely to another dog
- Reacting calmly to distractions
- Behaving politely when separated from his or her owner
With some consistent training, guidance and reinforcement, dogs can learn these skills in a few months’ time. Call us today if you would like more information about our CGC training and testing program. We would love to help your canine friend become a model dog!