- The wire crate allows for great ventilation, which is especially important in warm climates. It is also good for dogs that tend to get hot easily.
- Most wire crates now come with the option of a wire divider. This allows you to expand the crate as your puppy grows into it.
- Wire crates come with a tray in the bottom, which means easy cleaning since the surface can be removed and wiped down.
- Some dogs may find it easy to escape from a wire crate.
- Large crates can be big, heavy and difficult to move.
- This crate is perfect for dogs that like to cozy up in a corner. It is made out of hard plastic and allows for the perfect spot to cuddle.
- If you plan on any airline travel for your dog, this is the crate that all airlines require.
- Since the sides are made of solid plastic, it is typically the most difficult of all standard crates for your dog to escape from.
- The crate is made of plastic, therefore is bulky and takes up a lot of room. It also doesn’t collapse as nicely as other crates.
- The crate isn’t ventilated as well as other options, so it isn’t designed to be used in warm climates or with dogs that tend to overheat easily.
Soft Sided Crate
- Perfect for on-the-go travel, these crates collapse down and are lightweight.
- Since they are made of fabric, they are easily destructible, making them better for smaller dogs and dogs who are already crate trained.
- These crates feature a zipper instead of a standard closure. It can be possible for some dogs to figure out how to escape by unzipping the crate.
Heavy Duty Crates
- If you have a dog that is a destructive chewer, it might be necessary to buy them a heavy duty crate. These crates are reinforced in order to prevent your dog from escaping.
- Since the crates are reinforced, they are typically bulky and very expensive.
Choosing the right crate for your dog can be easy, as long as you know what your dog’s needs are and how you intend on using the crate. Take the time to find the right crate and to crate train your dog properly.